Friday, January 05, 2007

Khrisimis Yabwino & Chaka Chatsopano Chabwino

(Merry Christmas and Happy New Years!)

We hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas! As we had some time off for the holidays, we took another road trip to Mozambique, but this time to the North, accompanied by one of Tess' good friends (Heather) who is currently working with refugees in Ghana. The 16 hour road trip was treacherous as usual (car sized pot holes), but we made it in good time, with no mishaps.

Our main destination was the Island of Mozambique. This Island is a small, beautiful, coral island off the north coast of Mozambique. It was built up in the 1500's by the portugese colonizers on an important trade route between Asia and Europe. Due to the unique architecture which reflects Arab, Indian, and Portugese influences, it was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1991. Today it stands as a crumbling and almost haunting historical reminder of the wealth and power of European Colonization admist the squalid and flagrant poverty of what is left of the Island, and most of Mozambique today. While we certainly enjoyed visiting the museums, and soaking in the culture and the historical monuments, it was also a sober reminder of how little development and progress has taken place over the last 500 years in this part of the world. After spending a few days exploring the island, we camped (thanks for the wicked tent Allie!) at a beach side resort for some sea food, swimming, snorkelling, and "Christmas traditional malaria", this time served up to Jim. Because of Jim's Malaria, we decided to cut our time a little short and head back to Malawi for some R&R. With Tess behind the wheel, Jim QUICKLY recovered (probably thinking he was going to die faster with Tess driving, then by the Malaria) and drove the bulk of the way back to Malawi cold sweats, diarreha and all. He recovered just in time for a New Years Eve party at Lake Malawi with a bunch of our friends.

Despite our fun adventures, we really though about everyone at home, and missed everyone. Looking forward to a cold, snowy, pancit-filled Christmas next year!

Pics on the Island of Mozambique



Jim 's kung-fu pose with village kids during a crazy colored sunset on the Island

Tess and Heather!!!!

Mozambican roadside. Despite the proximity to the sea, the lack of fresh water is a serious challenge to most households, where women and kids walk an average of 5 kms a day to fetch water.

Tess the Mozambican spearfisher (with camoflouge lifejacket and all)

View from the Fort, with the first Catholic Church ever built in Southern Africa in the background


2 Comments:

At 7:53 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Glad you had a fun Christmas and New Year. Thanks for posting pictures. One day, think about vacationing in West Africa.

 
At 6:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there! I found your blog by searching information about living in Malawi. I come from Finland and will be moving to Lilongwe in March/April to work there. My organisation will probably help me, but I would appreciate all possible information about living in Lilongwe. Do you think you would have time to send me an e-mail/post a reply and try to tell, how should I prepare myself for Malawi. Another thing I have been wondering is How do people dress for office work...? This might sound stupid, but in Finland I work as a teacher and our dress code is very liberal (so I wear jeans and a sweater every day...) and I have absolutely no idea, if I should get more formal clothes. I would appreciate any help, including tips of what to pack with me etc.

Thanks for you help!!!

Cheers, Emmi (openelama@hotmail.com)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home